Saturday, August 2, 2014

Day 4: A Busking Success and an Epic Concert

I woke up, ate a yogurt, and wrote my blog post for the previous day. I’m finding it surprisingly easy to actually get this done – I had doubts about my ability to follow through with my idea. Then I looked around the interwebs and found an under 21 concert venue with fairly cheap tickets and some interesting bands. I marked it on my mind schedule and then grabbed my violin and took the train to Washington Square.

When I told Jenya about my not-so-lucrative busking experience on Wednesday, he told me that I was playing in the wrong spot and that Washington Square was the bomb. And he was spot on! Within the first 15 minutes of playing, I had been approached by a video/musician crew who wanted me to play with them and a troupe of dancers who all danced in sync while I play a reel. After an hour and a half, I had made a respectable 50 dollars.

It was now 2:30 and I was getting hungry. When my therapist had found out that I was going to NYC, he told me that l should go to a pizza place called Sal and Carmine. I caught the train to the upper West side and ate some pizza. It was pretty good, but not the best pizza I've ever had. The soda, on the other hand, was simply amazing. It was crème soda from a company called Dr. Brown.

I made my way back to the apartment I and after playing some Marvel VS. Capcom with Adaire, took the E and the L to the Knitting Factory, the venue where the concert was to take place. I bought my ticket and got a hand stamp and then realized that I had forgotten my earplugs. Damn. Well it was 7:45 and the show didn’t start till 8:30, and the band I wanted to see didn’t start till 9:30. So I took the trains back to the apartment. Nobody was home. Damn again. I called Adaire and she was eating dinner with her mother, Aunt Janet. So I walked over to the restaurant and said hello to them, got the keys, and headed back to the apartment. I grabbed my earplugs, and walked back to the restaurant. I said goodbye to Janet and took the subways back to Brooklyn to see my concert. I made it in at 9:32, just in time to see the last 4 or 5 songs of Tedesco. They were awesome! I had never been to a concert before, so it was pretty cool seeing a band live no matter who it was. I had a slightly awkward moment when I bought one of their shirts and asked them to sign it afterwards, only to find out that the shirt I bought was for the next band. Damn again again. Well, the band that the shirt was from came on next and they were fantastic! Absolutely loved them. After they finished, I got them all to sign my shirt and they gave me a free album and the singer got a picture with me.

I made my way home for the 4th time that day, smiling and wearing a band t-shirt with 5 fresh signatures on it. Another episode of Psych and then to the green silky covers, a blue glowing ball staring at me as I fell asleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment